Every organization is at risk from potential disasters that include:
- natural disasters such as tornadoes, floods, blizzards, earthquakes and fire;
- power and energy disruptions;
- communications, transportation, safety and service sector failure;
- environmental disasters such as pollution and hazardous materials spills; or
- cyber attacks and hacker activing.
Creating and maintaing a Business Continuity Plan ensure that an institution has the resources and information needed to deal with these emergencies.
For more information on creating and implementing a BCP, read the Government of Canada’s Minster of Public Works and Government Services publication: A Guide to Business Continuity Planning.