The primary objectives of the Business Licensing Service are:
- to promote safe and legitimate business premises and operations in the City of Pitt Meadows
- to provide initial advice for new businesses
- to process business license applications with regards to local and any other regulatory requirements that may be applicable
- to maintain an up to date database on existing businesses in the Community
When Is A Business Licence Required?
Every business in the City of Pitt Meadows is required to have a valid business license before commencing operations. This includes home-based businesses, commercial and industrial establishments, and owners of apartment rental properties. Business licenses are also required for businesses that are not located in the community but do work in it; such as contractors and trades persons. Visit the City of Pitt Meadows’ webpage to learn more about business licences and how to apply for one.
The Intermunicipal Business License (also referred to as a Mobile Business License) allows mobile businesses to operate in more than one municipality by purchasing an add-on to the required base business license, rather than obtaining non-resident licenses in each municipality in which they operate.
Your IML is valid in each of the following participating municipalities:
City of Abbotsford
City of Langley
District of Mission
City of Chilliwack
Township of Langley
City of Pitt Meadows
District of Hope
City of Maple Ridge
City of Surrey
What is an eligible Mobile Business? A trades contractor or other professional (related to the construction industry) that provides a service or product other than from their fixed and permanent address.
*Specific Municipality Requirements May Apply
For further information, contact the City of Pitt Meadows’ Development Services Department:
Why does your business need a business license?
- to promote safe and legitimate business premises and operations in the City of Pitt Meadows;
- to provide intitial advice for new businesses;
- to process business license applications with regards to local and any other regulatory requirements that may be applicable; and
- to maintain an up to date database on existing business in the community.
Applying for a Business License
The City’s Business Licensing & Regulation Bylaw No. 2643 authorizes the Municipal License Inspector to receive applications and issue all business licenses. The Inspector receives advice from other municipal staff from various department factions upon review of an application. These departments include Planning, Engineering, Building, Fire, Police, and Fraser Health.
How Do I Obtain A Business Licence?
The steps for obtaining a business license are as follows:
- Visit the Development Services Department at the Municipal Hall for an initial consultation.
- Fill out an Application Form and provide any supporting documentation, such as a one page description of the proposed business.
- Business licensing will refer the application to staff in Planning, Police, Fire, Building, Engineering or Health where applicable, for review.
- If the premises require alteration or improvements to meet Building Code requirements for the type of occupancy proposed, a building and/or other permit will be required prior to approval of the business license. Once a permit is obtained, the construction may proceed subject to inspection at various stages and approval to proceed being granted.
- If approval is received from applicable departments, the business license will be issued and payment of the required fee will be required.
For sub-contractors working in Pitt Meadows, download and submit the Subcontractor Business License Application Form.
Generally the business license process takes less than one week from initial application to issuance of a business license. If tenant improvements or other interior changes to a building are necessary, this process will take more time. For licensing requiring provincial endorsement (e.g. Motor Vehicle Dealer Act, Community Care Facilities Licensing Act or the Liquor Control Act), special provisions apply.
Business Licence Types & Fees
The following are a list of the types of business licenses issued:
- Home Based
- Rental Unit
- Street Vending
- Municipal Decals
Business license fees vary based on the type of business. Please review the fee schedule found in Bylaw No.2643, 2014 (Schedule A) for details. Business license fees are pro-rated after July 1 of each year. An application fee of $25 must be paid prior to the application being reviewed. For out-of-town businesses with the trade designation of “contractor”, please note that the full $80 license fee is required prior to the application being processed.
Visit the City of Pitt Meadows Website for further information on Business Licenses.
Here is a list of hints that may help you with your business licence application:
- Before signing a lease or purchase agreement, check with the Development Services Department at the Municipal Hall to make sure that you can occupy the premises for the type of business for which you are applying.
- Before you purchase a sign for your business, review the requirements of the Sign Bylaw No. 2719 with Development Services.
- Each space in a building has its own specific approved use in accordance with the Building Code and Municipal Parking Requirement. Sometimes the use of that space cannot be changed without approval and/or permit.