Update September 19, 2017: Effective immediately, September 19, 2017, the Coastal Fire Centre’s campfire ban has been rescinded. The Coastal Fire Centre includes all of Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland, Sea to Sky area, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Haida Gwaii. Please note that campfires are not permitted in the City of Pitt Meadows.
The following Provincial bans remain in effect until further notice:
- Category 2 open fires – This applies to agricultural open burning. The Fall burning season in Pitt Meadows continues to be delayed until the Province lifts the ban.
- Category 3 open fires
- Fires burning woody debris in outdoor stoves
- The use of tiki torches, fireworks, firecrackers, sky lanterns, burning barrel or burning cages of any size or description (*please note that these items are ALWAYS banned in Pitt Meadows*)
- The use of binary exploding targets
It does not include properly rated cooking stoves which use gas, propane or briquettes. The BC Wildfire Service has complete details of the ban. For further information visit their website or contact the fire department at 604.465.2401 or via email
To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. For up-to-date information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, call 1 888 3-FOREST or visit: www.bcwildfire.ca
You may also follow the latest wildfire news on:
* Twitter: http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
* Facebook: http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo
A poster explaining the different categories of open burning is available online at: