UPDATE May 18, 2018: Effective immediately, Friday, May 18, 2018, Category 2 open burns will be prohibited throughout the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdiction.
Specifically, the Category 2 prohibition applies to:
• the burning of any material (piled or unpiled)
•the burning of stubble or grass fires over an area less than 2,000 square metres
•the use of fireworks, firecrackers, sky lanterns, burning barrels, or burning cages of any size or description
•the use of binary exploding targets (e.g. for rifle target practice).
The compete text of the press release is available here.
2018 Spring Burning Season – March 1 – May 31, 2018
Permits are available from City Hall’s reception desk commencing March 1, 2018 at a cost of $50 for a five-day permit (note this is five consecutive days). A five-day permit does not guarantee that you are able to burn for all five days. It will depend on Metro Vancouver’s Daily Ventilation Index. A permit will be deemed to be used if you have been able to burn for one of the days for which it is valid.
What You Need to Know:
- Burning is permitted only on agriculturally zoned properties
- The property owner must provide written consent if he or she is not the individual purchasing the permit
- Permit Holders are responsible for calling Metro Vancouver’s hotline at 604-436-6777 each morning to check the ventilation index and burning conditions for the day and abiding by them
- Only vegetative matter originating from the site may be burned and there may be only one pile burning at any given time, at a size not to exceed 4 cubic meters
- No adding of fuel is permitted between dusk and 8:30am the following morning
- Cooking or camp-type fires that burn wood in any sort of outdoor appliance, device or fire pit are not permitted at any time. Only barbeques and appliances fuelled by natural gas, propane or commercial charcoal are permitted.
- Contact the Pitt Meadows Fire Rescue Service for more information: 604-465-2401 or visit www.pittmeadowsfire.com
- The complete Burning Regulation Bylaw is available here